Write, Read, Inspire
Author visits can benefit children in a number of ways from improving literacy to inspiring reluctant readers. It can give children confidence, broaden knowledge of literature and help develop creative writing skills.
Lorna loves reading her books to children and sharing her passion for writing so if you are a nursery, school, library or run a children’s club and are looking for an author to visit then do get in touch.
During her visits, Lorna talks through her career as a writer, reads from her books, shares some of her writing secrets and hosts a short question and answer session with the children. Lorna also assists teachers with some follow-up class-based activities including creative writing and craft sessions around her books.
If your class is working to a particular theme or starting a new class topic then Lorna can also tailor workshops around these themes. Her book ‘Felix – the small boy with the BIG imagination’ can be used for several topics including space, science, adventure, discovery, jobs, exploration. It’s always lovely to link a new topic to literacy and Lorna can help with this.
Lorna tries to keep her fees for an author visit affordable to allow as many schools and children as possible to benefit from meeting a real-life author. Parents are also given the opportunity to pre-order a signed copy of Lorna’s books for their child.
A Typical Visit
Lorna can tailor her visit to suit your needs but a typical visit might include the following:
- An introduction to Lorna and her work as an author of children’s books
- A reading from her book/books
- Discussing ideas and inspiration for stories
- Sharing notebooks and other resources which support her work
- Explaining the processes involved in publishing a book
- Question and answer session
- Up to four (45 minutes) class-based follow-up activities including creative writing and craft sessions
- Book signing session (usually at the end of the day with an opportunity for Lorna to give children their books personally)
The visit will usually follow a timetable and Lorna is happy to tailor this to suit your school/nursery’s requirements.
For further information or to book a visit contact email@example.com